Our most recent reports
Read Local BC Showcases Local Books with Events & Promotions Across the Province
October 19th, 2016
Following the widespread success of the inaugural Read Local BC campaign in 2015, the Association of Book Publishers of British Columbia (ABPBC) launches the initiative for a second year. From October 28 – November 7, 2016, readers across the province can discover locally published books and meet authors resident in their community through a range of activities in bookstores and libraries throughout British Columbia.
“Publishing in British Columbia is thriving. Our publishers produce close to 1000 books every year, win national and international awards, and contribute not only to the vibrant artistic legacy of the province, but our creative economy, too,” said Heidi Waechtler, Executive Director of the ABPBC. “We’re thrilled to celebrate these achievements with thousands of readers, building on the momentum of last year’s campaign.”
More than 20 publishers from across the province will participate, showcasing recent publications from local authors from Prince George to Fernie to Kelowna to Courtenay. Libraries will display books from local authors. A social media campaign will encourage readers of all ages to discover books in their local area by exploring the library services on offer, using the hashtag #readlocalbc. The popular “Be Book Aware” campaign graphics – featuring iconic BC animals with stacks of books – will be seen on poster boards and in shop windows for the duration of the campaign.
“One of the great strengths of BC’s book industry is its sense of community,” said Ruth Linka, Chair of the ABPBC Marketing and Promotions Committee. “Read Local BC galvanizes the many thousands of passionate people who write, edit, sell and share words and ideas with the goal of connecting with as many readers as possible.” As part of the festivities, Read Local BC will present 10 free events for the public, featuring 32 lauded writers such as Evelyn Lau, Fred Wah, Ashley Little, Betsy Warland, Adam Lewis Schroeder and Caroline Adderson. These events include:
• An Intimate Evening With Vancouver Poets (Vancouver, November 1): with Elee Kraljii Gardiner, Julie Emerson, Fred Wah and Evelyn Lau.
• Secrets and Stories from B.C. (Victoria, November 1): with Lorimer Shenher, Jennifer Manuel and Helen Raptis.
• Writing the Body (Vancouver, November 2): with Betsy Warland, Michael Pond and Maureen Palmer.
• An Evening With Okanagan Authors (Kelowna, November 2): with Ashley Little, Adam Lewis Schroeder and Hannah Calder.
• Children’s Storytelling Afternoon (Vancouver, November 3): with Michelle Gilman, Judson Beaumont, Gabrielle Pendergast and Robert Heidbreder.
• Vancouver’s Histories and Mysteries (Vancouver, November 3): with Caroline Adderson, Aaron Chapman and Eve Lazarus.
• Children’s Storytelling Afternoon (Victoria, November 6): with Robert “Lucky” Budd, Alison Gear, Sara Cassidy and Alex Van Tol.
• Our Natural World (Salt Spring Island, November 7): with Caroline Fox, Briony Penn and Mark Leiren-Young.
• Turning Back Time (Victoria, November 7): with Dr. Martha Black, Glen A. Mofford and Nick Russell.
• Indie Author Day Book Launch (Victoria, November 8): with Joy Huebert, Gisela Ruebsaat and Inge Israel.
Additional events will be arranged by bookstores, libraries and publishers.