Our most recent reports
Job Posting: Designer at Orca Book Publishers
April 30th, 2012
Designer —Children’s Books and Marketing Material
Orca Book Publishers is a successful Canadian children’s book publisher. With more than 500 titles in print and 75 new titles a year, we have a growing and successful publishing program. We are looking for a professional, motivated Book and Marketing Designer to join our creative team. Working with the Director of Art and Production, the successful candidate will be responsible for the production of marketing material, including advertisements, typesetting and layout on a number of different projects as well as some independent design work. This position will also be involved in the production of digital files for our growing eBook program, as well as some web design and website maintenance.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Typesetting and layout for children’s books including teen and series fiction
· Creating original layouts as well as working from existing templates
· Production of press materials, as well as promotional materials
· Development of supplementary online content for key titles
· Archiving paper and electronic book files
· Production and management of eBook files
· Keen interest in the Canadian children’s book publishing industry;
· Knowledge of current trends in design and typography;
· Adobe InDesign CS5; Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat, MS Office (Excel and Word)
· Knowledge of web design and coding is an asset
· Experience in typesetting preferred but not required
· Familiarity with MAC and PC
· Experience in book publishing or a related field
· Ability to work independently
· Candidate must be highly efficient and organized; must enjoy working with people.
Formal design training is preferred and a portfolio with relevant work samples should be submitted electronically in an email-friendly, PDF format.
Please send resume and e-portfolio by May 15, 2012 via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls please.