Our most recent reports
City of Vancouver 125th Anniversary: 2011 Legacy Books Project
December 6th, 2010
In December 2010, the Association of Book Publishers of BC (ABPBC) was awarded a grant from the City of Vancouver to assist BC publishers to bring back into print or to reissue books that have a strong connection to the City. The project has been developed with Vancouver’s Poet Laureate, Brad Cran, who will partner with us throughout.
The grant also includes funds to jointly promote the selected Legacy titles. Complete promotion plans will be announced at a later date. For planning purposes, however, the plans will include a special 125th Anniversary logo to go on the cover of the selected books. The ABPBC will be working with the City in this regard and will keep publishers informed.
Because funds are limited, the books to be included in the project will be selected by genres juries.
Publisher eligibility and terms of application:
• Publishers must be BC owned and operated.
• Publishers must agree to include City of Vancouver brand marks and funding recognition in the selected books.
• Publishers must guarantee that books will be available for September 2011.
• An administration fee of $25 per title is required for non-ABPBC members.
• Titles must be out of print or ready for reissue.
• Titles may have been originated with a publisher other than the applying publisher.
• Contracts with the rights holder are not necessary at the time of application but must be confirmed before funds are released.
Grant amounts will range from $1,000 to $5,000 depending on the requirements of the publication. Our funds are limited and we wish to support as many publications as possible, therefore the jury will follow these general guidelines: reissues that will give a work new life – $1,000; new editions of poetry or plays – $2,000, fiction – $3,000, non-fiction – $2500 to $5,000. Publishers may make an argument for books that are of significant importance but that require more funds.